[xmonad] tiny config file gives error, please can someone take a quick look at it?

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Wed Dec 24 17:42:49 UTC 2014

On Wed, Dec 24, 2014 at 12:25 PM, jenia.ivlev <jenia.ivlev at gmail.com> wrote:

> That's my error message. (I don't understand why I get undisplayable
> characters, like that "a" with the hat).

That looks like Unicode vs. iso8859 confusion. It was trying to print
"smart quotes".

>     Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file:
> /home/jenia-xmonad/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
>     xmonad.hs:8:45: parse error on input â=â
>     Please check the file for errors.

The line indicated appears to be

        kb = XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask} = (modMask, xK_b)

which is in fact incorrect. I suspect it was supposed to be

        kb XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask} = (modMask, xK_b)

which uses record syntax in a pattern to unpack modMask from an XConfig
parameter. You might find it less confusing with parentheses:

        kb (XConfig {XMonad.modMask = modMask}) = (modMask, xK_b)