[xmonad] darcs patch: Layout.Spacing: Outer window edges now get as much spa...

felixc at felixcrux.com felixc at felixcrux.com
Fri Dec 19 02:16:27 UTC 2014

Hello XMonad contributors!

I've attached here my first patch to XMonadContrib; specifically to the
Layout.Spacing component. This change makes it so that all edges of all
windows have the same amount of space around them, regardless of whether
they're up against the edge of the screen.

This matches my personal preference, but I don't know whether the original
behaviour was by design or if this style of spacing was already considered
and rejected. I'd welcome any discussion on the pros and cons of doing things
this way, as well as finding out whether anyone objects to this change. At
the end of the day it's up to you whether this patch should be included.

Thank you to geekosaur and fizzie in #xmonad for their help with the tricky
question of determining whether a Workspace has just one window on it, for
the smartSpacing part.

All the best,

Felix

1 patch for repository http://code.haskell.org/XMonadContrib:

Thu Dec 18 20:47:34 EST 2014  Felix Crux <felixc at felixcrux.com>
  * Layout.Spacing: Outer window edges now get as much spacing as inner ones

  Layout.Spacing applies a customizable amount of space around the outside of each
  window. At window edges where two windows meet, the total distance between them
  is therefore twice the customized value (one space value from each window). At
  the edge of the screen, however, the spacing is only applied once. This results
  in uneven amounts of spacing and differently-sized gaps on the screen.

  This patch extends the Spacing layout to include a further gap all around the
  edge of the screen, thus making all spaces around windows equal in size.