[xmonad] Bug? garbage screen when switching virtual workspaces.

Klaas van Schelven klaas at vanschelven.com
Tue Aug 12 07:24:04 UTC 2014

I suppose I should start with a rant on how XMonad sucks to get everyone's
attention. However, truth is I've been enjoying xmonad for some c. 5 years
now, without any problems whatsoever. However:

I've recently upgraded my Ubuntu from 10.04 to 14.04.

Xmonad appeared to work after changing the syntax of dmenu_run and
recompiling.
However, sometimes when switching workspaces, I end up with with some
garbage window with the following properties:

* slightly offset to the bottom & right from the normal location (slightly
means: a couple of pixels)
* the area usually contains the contents of the window that was displaying
right before making the switch (but as I set, slightly offset to the right
& bottom)
* usually the window is killable using my standard kill-key-combo.
* It appears (though I'm not sure) that google-chrome if often involved in
this. One observed behavior: after killing the "ghost window" everything
seemed to work fine again, except that chrome was gone. Tentative
conclusion: the ghost window was in fact chrome.
* My "unfloat" modifier (Mod-T) doesn't change anything

When observing the above, I just run windows full screen and use various
workspaces for the various windows.

* A behavior that appears related: in a few cases I did not manage to get
rid of the ghost window. In those cases I got some kind of mosaic inside
the full-screen chrome window, comprised of ca. 5 times 5 smaller, mirrored
rectangles which contained part of chrome. I'll try to make a screenshot
next time this happens.

I'm sorry if the problem description is somewhat vague, and/or if I'm not
using the correct terminology.
As I said, I've set up XMonad years ago, and haven't changed a thing since
so I'm somewhat lost for the right words at times (the correct terminology
is in my fingers)
Any pointers to debugging this problem or requests for specifc configs/logs
are welcome.

regards,
Klaas