[xmonad] Issue 576 in xmonad: On FreeBSD Xmonad loses first hotkey sometimes

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Sat Aug 9 18:41:56 UTC 2014

Comment #5 on issue 576 by allber... at gmail.com: On FreeBSD Xmonad loses
first hotkey sometimes

If you can get a terminal open (or switch to a virtual console), it might
be worth using `truss -f` on the running xmonad process to see if something
is going wrong with `spawn`. You should see xmonad fork, then the child
fork again and exit, and the grandchild exec `sh -c ...`.

This would not actually be the first time we've had problems on FreeBSD;
but the past problems were due to various attempts to improve our process
handling which tripped over certain differences in *BSD's handling
of "orphaning" child processes, and showed up differently -- in particular,
it could not happen on the *first* child spawned, but only after hitting
the child process limit which is usually fairly high (in the hundreds at
least) these days.