[xmonad] xmonad hides xfce4-panel

Antonio Bibiano ant.b at hacari.org
Thu Aug 7 07:44:12 UTC 2014

Hi,
I incurred in the same problem!
I followed the hint in the first reply about the "order" in which the different
components are called, but that turned out to not solve the issue
unless I disable xfdesktop.
(you can play with the order by having a look at the xfce4-settings-editor
in the xfce4-session group, and change them using xfconf-query)
Anyway no matter what the order seems that starting xfdesktop along with
xmonad always hides the xfce4-panel.
My solution is to start xmonad using a small script:

#!/bin/bash
sleep 2
xmonad --replace

That's it , a little delay for xmonad allows xfdesktop to do it's thing safely
 with xfce4-panel and xfwm4 and everyone is happy :)

I assume that this happens because xmonad is faster than xfdesktop and does
something unexpected (perhaps ovverriding some environment variable as the
first reply suggested?), or maybe simply doesn't give xfdesktop sufficient time
to talk to xfwm4?

hope this helps

Antonio