[xmonad] Issue 348 in xmonad: Encoding task force

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Tue Aug 5 08:13:34 UTC 2014

Comment #10 on issue 348 by vej.... at gmail.com: Encoding task force

Such problems still exist, in least at two places:
- In XMonad.Core, the spawn function breaks Unicode strings.  For instance,
if I do "spawn "notify-send \"Réveille-toi !\""" the "é" character in the
notification becomes "Ã(c)".
- In XMonad.Util.Dmenu, the menu arguments are similarly broken if they
contain such characters.
In the second case, I could solve the problem by removing all
"encodeString" occurrences in the function runProcessWithInput from
XMonad.Util.Run (there are other occurrences of "encodeString"in
XMonad.Util.Run which may cause the same problem).  I suspect (but have not
tried) that removing "encodeString" in spawnPID (from XMonad.Core) would
solve the first problem.