[xmonad] Is there a feature...

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Mon Sep 30 18:27:39 CEST 2013

Hello emacstheviking,

What you describe might be possible with
<http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Layout-SubLayouts.html>.
I intended it for just one layer of nesting, but you might be able to
figure out a way to send messages to the right subLayout to make the
following usable:

nestedWorkspaces = subLayout [] (subLayout [] inner Full) outer
  where
   inner = Tall 1 0.3 0.5
   outer = Tall 1 0.3 0.5

I think this means: inside the rectangles decided by "outer", have
"workspaces" (arranged by Full) which are laid out like "inner". Or
maybe the right behavior is some other permutation.

Some other code that I think could help you:
XMonad.Layout.MessageControl and some variation of
XMonad.Actions.FocusNth. Also something like the queryMerge here
<http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Config_archive/adamvo's_xmonad.hs>
could be useful, since I imagine you might want to have a command
like:

spawn_and_put_the_next_window_that_appears_into_the_current_subWorkspace
:: String -> X ()

which does what it's name suggests, provided you have a manageHook
that does the merging.

Hopefully this is enough of a hint to get going.

Regards,
Adam