[xmonad] avoidStruts not working on first start

Brandon Allbery allbery.b
Thu Oct 10 14:02:18 UTC 2013

On Thu, Oct 10, 2013 at 2:19 AM, Daniel Wagner <daniel at wagner-home.com>wrote:

> On 2013-10-10 01:11, Ben Boeckel wrote:
>
>> On Wed, 02 Oct, 2013 at 02:30:26 GMT, Daniel Wagner wrote:
>>
>>> For what it's worth, I've been seeing this too. What's more, it's even
>>> more specific than "first boot": it's also only a problem on the first
>>> workspace! Very strange. I've no idea what's causing it.
>>>

>> Could it be that xmonad only checks for struts when something changes
>> and doesn't get notified on their creation?
>>

> I know the behavior you're talking about: sometimes, xmonad seems to have
> "lost" the fact that xmobar appears. But just about anything fixes it:
> opening a new window, switching workspaces, hitting xmonad's "redraw" key
> -- anything that causes the layout to be recomputed clears the problem.

So, for grins and giggles --- does
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-ManageDocks.html#v:docksEventHookhelp?

(See also https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=525)

> In addition, for what it's worth, I have two monitors. I run xmobar on
> each monitor, and trayer only on one monitor. On the first workspace for
> each monitor, the space left open for struts is wrong -- and in different
> ways on the two monitors.

Depending on how the monitors are positioned, this could be
https://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=526 .