[xmonad] avoidStruts not working on first start

Daniel Wagner daniel
Thu Oct 10 06:19:05 UTC 2013

On 2013-10-10 01:11, Ben Boeckel wrote:
> On Wed, 02 Oct, 2013 at 02:30:26 GMT, Daniel Wagner wrote:
>> For what it's worth, I've been seeing this too. What's more, it's even
>> more specific than "first boot": it's also only a problem on the first
>> workspace! Very strange. I've no idea what's causing it.
>
> What about multiple monitors? I sometimes see my terminals overlap
> xmobar, but moving between workspaces (even just focusing another
> monitor), or switching the focused window with <prefix>j makes the
> struts apply again. My xmobars usually take a while on first login
> because the network isn't up yet and the Weather plugin is timing out,
> but I've seen it on subsequent logins where I open a terminal quickly
> as
> well.
>
> Could it be that xmonad only checks for struts when something changes
> and doesn't get notified on their creation?

I know the behavior you're talking about: sometimes, xmonad seems to
have "lost" the fact that xmobar appears. But just about anything fixes
it: opening a new window, switching workspaces, hitting xmonad's
"redraw" key -- anything that causes the layout to be recomputed clears
the problem.

With what I'm seeing now, only a full restart (of either xmonad or
xmobar) fixes the problem.

In addition, for what it's worth, I have two monitors. I run xmobar on
each monitor, and trayer only on one monitor. On the first workspace for
each monitor, the space left open for struts is wrong -- and in
different ways on the two monitors.

~d