[xmonad] patches to use data-default

Jesper Reenberg jesper.reenberg at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 04:08:51 CEST 2013

On 28 May 2013 03:47, Daniel Wagner <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> I've done my best to:
> * maintain backwards compatibility. Configs that use these symbols should
> generate a warning, but still work perfectly correctly.
> * ensure that all the places that used to export default values now also
> export "def", so that working configs can eliminate the warnings without
> changing their imports (or at worst change imports of defaultXPConfig, etc.
> to imports of def)

Seems that you have forgot to fix the warnings that this introduces?
Anyways I'm getting the below warning when building from darcs.

XMonad/Core.hs:195:13:
>     Warning: This binding for `def' shadows the existing binding
>                imported from `Data.Default' at XMonad/Core.hs:40:1-19

The affected line 195, is the userCodeDef seen below:

-- | Execute the argument, catching all exceptions.  Either this function
> or
>
> -- 'catchX' should be used at all callsites of user customized code.
>

> userCode :: X a -> X (Maybe a)
> userCode a = catchX (Just `liftM` a) (return Nothing)
> -- | Same as userCode but with a default argument to return instead of
> using
>

> -- Maybe, provided for convenience.
>

> userCodeDef :: a -> X a -> X a
> userCodeDef def a = fromMaybe def `liftM` userCode a

Would it make sense to have -Werror turned on by default, such that xmonad
always compiles without warnings?

The reason why this is a problem is because I'm taking a new crack at
fixing my updates to the old QC code such that it will compile against the
darcs code instead of my own.
When compiling the test code, -Werror is turned on, which prevents me from
compiling right now. Obviously I have fixed this locally for now.

--
Reenberg