[xmonad] how to handle "request focus" events properly

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Dec 1 04:30:42 UTC 2013

On Sat, Nov 30, 2013 at 11:09 PM, Javran Cheng <javran.c at gmail.com> wrote:

> I'm wondering what is the proper way of handling some "request focus"
> events, I have some scenario here:

If you have EwmhDesktops configured (including by using
XMonad.Config.Desktop as your base config, or one of its descendants such
as XMonad.Config.Xfce or XMonad.Config.Gnome) then we handle the EWMH focus
request message.

Many people do not like it when their browser demands focus (Firefox and
Chrome are both happy to demand focus when some other program has focus,
instead of only when they are switching focus from one of their windows to
another), so we do not force support for the EWMH focus change message by
default as this would make it very difficult to turn off.