[xmonad] gnome theming is destroying my life

Jochen Keil jochen.keil at gmail.com
Thu Sep 13 18:22:10 CEST 2012

Hi,

On 13.09.2012 17:15, Brandon Allbery wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:41 AM, Carsten Mattner
> <carstenmattner at gmail.com>wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Sep 13, 2012 at 4:27 AM, Michael Norrish
>> <michael.norrish at nicta.com.au> wrote:

>> ran
>>>
>>> Thanks for the (depressing) news.  I will have to look into
>>> what I can do without.
>>
>> GNOME 3.x theming is still evolving and therefore you most
>>

> I should clarify:  this was GNOME 3 running in fallback (i.e.
> "should be" GNOME 2).  But somehow all theming was disabled and (it
> being that I had a theme engine configured, and it was present in
> the system and if I installed a theme manager I could
> deselect/reselect it) theme engines threw errors as if they
> couldn't be found.  Or, integrating the above, that something is
> forcing the theme to something stupid and ugly, possibly in a
> misguided attempt to get people to throw everything (possibly
> including hardware) out and upgrade to the Glorious New Shiny.

I'd like to throw a bit in here. I'm running completely without
{gnome,xfce}-session-manager (which does normally all the fancy gtk
theme settings).
It is possible to configure gtk-{2,3} applications without GNOME or
XFCE though.

For reference I've attached my ~/.gtkrc-2.0 and
~/.config/gtk-3.0/settings.ini files.

Themes can most likely be found in /usr/share/themes (depends on
installation) whereas icon themes normally reside in /usr/share/icons
(again, dependent on installation).

The reference for configuring gtk with plain files are
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk/stable/GtkSettings.html
http://developer.gnome.org/gtk3/stable/GtkSettings.html
Please note that the format slightly differs, especially for strings.
It is also noteworthy, that the include for a theme in gtkrc-2.0 has
to be upfront.

Hope this was helpful and best regards,

Jochen