[xmonad] How to prefix workspace names with numbers?

Ben Boeckel mathstuf at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 23:13:55 CEST 2012

On Sat, Oct 27, 2012 at 22:28:31 +0200, Jacek Generowicz wrote:
> Ben Boeckel writes:
>
> >> BTW, can anyone recommend a Linux backup solution that Just Works?
> >
> > There's obnam [...]
>
> At first glance, it seems to inspire more confidence than most. I'll
> have to give it a go. Thanks.

Yeah, it's just missing a few things and it'd be perfect for me[1].

> > yet (I've been lacking a landline Internet connection for two months now
> > :/ ) due to my FreeBSD machine being in the process of a rebuild (which
> > is paused do to it lacking Internet).
>
> :-) That's a nice hole you've got yourself into.

Indeed. I've been considering dragging it to $DAYJOB and just spend a
day setting the thing up, but I haven't gotten the urge to untangle it
and lug it back and forth yet. Not like it's going to be useful outside
of the apartment anyways :/ .

> Seeing as we're off on a tangent anyway: I've been meaning to give BSD a
> go for over a decade, but have never managed to get over the activation
> energy. Could you spare a few words on the topic of which BSD one might
> start with? (It will have to run on a laptop, in case that makes a
> difference.)

I don't run it as a main machine, just as a server (jails make securing
and sectioning off services dead simple; use ezjail-admin). As for main
usage, I trip over nvi != vim all the time, but I doubt you'll have that
problem for long :) . Ports are easy to manage port portupgrade, but
since I don't do much with it at the top-level (tmux, ezjail-admin, and
maybe one or two others), I tend to just do ports manually (with make).
Other than that, getting over GNU-isms from coreutils is the biggest
hurdle. This is also just FreeBSD; I haven't used OpenBSD, NetBSD,
Dragonfly, or PC-BSD at all.

--Ben

[1]I'd love to be able to do "topic" backups. As an example, higher-end
game saves shouldn't be fetched on a machine that can't game well (such
as the netbook).