[xmonad] xmobar on GNOME3

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 18:05:27 CET 2012

On Thu, Nov 22, 2012 at 3:07 AM, Tony Morris <tonymorris at gmail.com> wrote:

> I am trying to get xmobar running on GNOME3. However, xmonad starts the
> process, then it quits. I am not sure why, but I know that it quits
> because I changed the output handler (ppOutput) to first use writeFile
> then to the xmobar Handle. I saw the contents that would have been piped
> to xmobar in the file.
>
> If I start xmobar manually after xmonad has started, it starts fine,

Do you ever see the xmobar appear?   It occurs to me that this may be the
usual $PATH issue:  $PATH is set in terminals, so you can find xmobar
easily, but the $PATH passed to xmonad itself is
/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/local/bin or whatever your system uses as a default
$PATH and xmobar installed via cabal or (some ways) git won't be found.

This would show up as errors in ~/.xsession-errors on many, but not all,
systems.

unix/linux, openafs, kerberos, infrastructure          http://sinenomine.net