[xmonad] xmobar on GNOME3

Tony Morris tonymorris at gmail.com
Thu Nov 22 09:07:57 CET 2012

I am trying to get xmobar running on GNOME3. However, xmonad starts the
process, then it quits. I am not sure why, but I know that it quits
because I changed the output handler (ppOutput) to first use writeFile
then to the xmobar Handle. I saw the contents that would have been piped
to xmobar in the file.

If I start xmobar manually after xmonad has started, it starts fine,
reading "Updating..." awaiting input. I have minimised
~/.xmonad/xmonad.hs and I have tried many variants to try to resolve the

I have also tried fiddling with ~/.xmobarrc but this is how it currently

Any tips are immensely appreciated, because I have run out of ideas!

Tony Morris