[xmonad] Another data point on delays in focus update.

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Tue Mar 6 15:24:16 CET 2012

A month or so ago, I posted about some slow focus updates I was seeing
in xmonad.

http://article.gmane.org/gmane.comp.lang.haskell.xmonad/12074

I noticed another correlation when this is happening, and thought I'd
jot it down in this forum, in the hopes that it eventually contributes
to a solution.

During the period when the focus is slowly traversing a lot of
intervening windows, I've found that I peg a CPU running the X server;
My Xorg process goes to 99%CPU and stays there for the entirety of the
delay.

I've been watching the X cpu behavior because I've also noticed that
some Firefox browser behavior will similarly peg the Xorg process for
seconds at a time, and I was trying to suss that out.

I'm kind of free-associating here, but I'm wondering if xmonad's use of
X resources is leaving Xorg with a long list of [wumpus]  that the X
server can't collect or collapse or something,  I have no idea what the
wumpus might be, but...

- Allen S. Rout
- Climbing back under his rock