[xmonad] XMonad and Xfce panel workspace question

Pablo Olmos de Aguilera C. pablo at glatelier.org
Fri Jul 13 06:49:57 CEST 2012

After some suffering, I managed to configure to use Xfce as a DE with
xmonad as its WM. As stated in the wiki, the workspace panel plugin
worked nice with xmonad workspaces, and it does... partially.

I ran xmonad in two monitors, my main monitor (1920*1080), the laptop
monitor (1366*768) and I have 7 workspaces. The problem is that Xfce
thinks both monitors are ONE workspace, so each workspace "slot" is
divided into two, the left half is the first monitor, and the right
half the second monitor. The rest of the workspaces left side shows
the apps opened in their respective WS, and the right side is empty.

I'm sending a screenshot, maybe it can help to clear things a bit:
http://imgur.com/Oogzq. In this case, I have three terminals opened in
the first WS and only one in the sixth. As you can see, the panel
shows the 6th WS empty (which is not). If I move between the
workspaces in the main monitor, in the panel looks like only the right
half is moving.

I can see that xmonad and xfce understands workspaces differently, but
it's a bit annoying (and confusing) to have those empty spaces.
Honestly, I don't mind being able to make xfce "ignore" the second
monitor and just show the first one. I imagine that something similar
has to happen with kde or gnome, so I was wondering if there was a way
to deal with this.

Warm regards,
--
Pablo Olmos de Aguilera Corradini - @PaBLoX