[xmonad] ManageHook and child windows

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 20:50:05 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 9, 2012 at 2:25 PM, Raghavendra D Prabhu <
raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> So, after the previous post I did some digging in the code.
>  getTransientForHint  is from  Graphics.X11.Xlib.Extras haskell  library.

Yes.  Do not expect that the X11 binding will be changed to add this;
that's the wrong place to put it.

> So there are two ways to fix this:
>   1. Fix in libX11 by adding another function or fixing existing   one.
>   2. Fixing getTransientForHint in G.X.X11.Extras by adding   another
> condition to check for WM_CLIENT_LEADER according to   ICCWM specs.

And then there's the correct one:  extend the *user* of this function, in
ManageHelpers, to also do the WM_CLIENT_LEADER check.

Modifying a low level X11 binding to do something the bound library does
not, namely adding WM_CLIENT_LEADER to a function which is documented to
only do WM_TRANSIENT_FOR, is the wrong place to put this.