[xmonad] ManageHook and child windows

Raghavendra D Prabhu raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com
Mon Jul 9 20:25:54 CEST 2012

* On Sat, Jul 07, 2012 at 06:44:40PM -0400, Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com> wrote:
>>  > Now, I checked the code and noticed a  getTransientForHint being used
>> > check for this. Is there a way to add the above to it?
>> Did you have success? I'm having the same problem... each time firefox
>> spawn a window it appears in a fixed workspace (which is not always
>> the same that I'm using it), also most of them are dialogs, but they
>> tend to tile themselvs which is umconfortable.
> I started to rework the transients at one point with the above in mind,
>buit it caused very odd breakages.  I never did get the chance to track
>down exactly what was going on, and at this point I can't do so :(
>My best luck with Firefox was to doFloat windows whose appName was
>"Toplevel" (a bit of laziness on the Firefox devs' part...)
>brandon s allbery                                      allbery.b at gmail.com
>wandering unix systems administrator (available)     (412) 475-9364 vm/sms

>xmonad mailing list
>xmonad at haskell.org

So, after the previous post I did some digging in the code.
  getTransientForHint  is from  Graphics.X11.Xlib.Extras haskell

  getTransientForHint in turn calls xGetTransientForHint which is
  in turn a wrapper around the Xlib library.

  Now, xGetTransientForHint is (from Xlib.h)

extern Status XGetTransientForHint(
     Display*		/* display */,
     Window		/* w */,
     Window*		/* prop_window_return */

The implementation is provided by libX11 and is:

So there are two ways to fix this:

   1. Fix in libX11 by adding another function or fixing existing
   2. Fixing getTransientForHint in G.X.X11.Extras by adding
   another condition to check for WM_CLIENT_LEADER according to
   ICCWM specs.

#2 is more achievable in my opinion (by the maintainer of that

Raghavendra Prabhu
GPG Id : 0xD72BE977
Fingerprint: B93F EBCB 8E05 7039 CD3C A4B8 A616 DCA1 D72B E977
www: wnohang.net