[xmonad] Newbie questions (wrt floating windows)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Mon Jul 2 16:38:39 CEST 2012

On Mon, Jul 2, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Matthew Hague <matthewhague at zoho.com> wrote:

>     1) I like titlebars but find that the decorators (e.g. noFrillsDeco) do
>     not apply to floating windows.  Is there a way to decorate the floats
> too?

I don't think so.

>     Even better: is there a way to apply decorations only to certain
> windows
>     (i.e. in the manageHook)?

Only if you can do it by sending a message to the layout modifier or by
storing information in ExtensibleState.  (That is, you'll have to write
your own layout modifier based on Decoration.)

Note also that, as currently written, Decoration is quadratic in both the
number of managed windows *and* in the number of decorations applied to a
window; this means things get rather slow if you have a lot of windows or a
lot of decorations (not to say both!).

    2) The floating windows are always in front of tiled windows.  This is
>     annoying: i would like to be able to script something so that the
> floating
>     layer is hidden if a tiled window is focused.  Is there some command
> along
>     the lines of "hide all floats"?

Not /per se/; the usual way to do this is scratchpads (
XMonad.Util.NamedScratchpad<http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Util-NamedScratchpad.html>
 ).