[xmonad] Trouble getting modular setup to compile

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 23:32:29 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Frank Terbeck <ft at bewatermyfriend.org> wrote:
> xmonad --recompile
> Error detected while loading xmonad configuration file: /home/hawk/.xmonad/xmonad.hs
>
> lib/XMonad/Config/FT/Layouts.hs:19:23:
>     No instance for (XMonad.Layout.LayoutModifier.LayoutModifier
>                        FullscreenFull a0)

Hi Frank,

All your type errors involve some type variables like `a0' above that
eventually become Window when the definition is used in your config.
You could try adding {-# LANGUAGE NoMonomorphismRestriction #-} to the
top of lib/XMonad/Config/FT/Layouts.hs. I think that will stop ghc
from trying to fix a given `a0' when compiling your Layouts.hs

Another option is to add a type signature yourself that fixes the `a0'
to be Window. Putting that annotation at top level is going to be very
nasty since the type is going to be as big as the actual definition.
Instead you could apply to your layouts a function that will restrict
the type:    (id :: x Window -> x Window)

--
Adam