[xmonad] Trouble getting modular setup to compile

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sun Dec 30 23:12:44 CET 2012

On Sun, Dec 30, 2012 at 4:35 PM, Frank Terbeck <ft at bewatermyfriend.org>wrote:

> lib/XMonad/Config/FT/Layouts.hs:19:23:
>     No instance for (XMonad.Layout.LayoutModifier.LayoutModifier
>                        FullscreenFull a0)
>       arising from a use of `smartBorders'
>     Possible fix:
>       add an instance declaration for
>       (XMonad.Layout.LayoutModifier.LayoutModifier FullscreenFull a0)
>     In the expression: smartBorders
>     In the expression: smartBorders $ fullscreenFull Full
>     In an equation for `fullScreenNoBorders':
>         fullScreenNoBorders = smartBorders $ fullscreenFull Full

Why are you using Full there?  There's no real point in modifying it to add
the ability to switch the layout to Full when a window wants to be
fullscreen; it's just a somewhat expensive way to say "smartBorders Full".

(This is not, however, the problem; it should compile, it's just kinda
pointless.)

lib/XMonad/Config/FT/Layouts.hs:25:45:
>     No instance for (XMonad.Core.LayoutClass Circle a0)
>       arising from a use of `|||'

This looks suspicious to me.  Circle *is* an instance of LayoutClass... but
it may be an instance of the *wrong* LayoutClass.  Which is to say, you may
have multiple versions of xmonad and possibly xmonad-contrib registered
with ghc, and the instances are being pulled from different versions and
don't match up as a result.  (Normally you see this when package versions
suddenly start showing up as prefixes in type or typeclass names, but there
are screw cases where you can't see this... such as when it's only
typeclass instances that mismatch.)

Use "ghc-pkg list" to make sure there is exactly one xmonad and exactly one
XMonadContrib and that they match each other.