[xmonad] Window gets pulled into another workspace

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Fri Dec 28 21:31:55 CET 2012

On Fri, Dec 28, 2012 at 2:05 PM, Raghavendra D Prabhu <
raghu.prabhu13 at gmail.com> wrote:

> I have manageHooks in place; in this case, the manageHook is for terminal
> to be on workspace B and firefox on workspace A and somehow the terminal
> gets pulled into workspace B. Note that this doesn't only happen with
> windows with manageHooks but any active window.
> To reproduce this, create a request to make a window in a time-delayed
> fashion, best way is to start firefox download for a busy site (or just
> enough for you to move to other workspace).

But I tend to do this somewhat regularly, and don't see this.

EXCEPT:  if I'm using xcompmgr, which seems to get confused in this and
similar cases.  (If you use a compositing manager, it draws and positions
all actual windows; an application "window" exists but is never mapped.
 Compositing in X is rather hacky.)  Are you using xcompmgr, by any chance?

I have heard that compton fixes this issue with xcompmgr, but have not been
able to verify.