[xmonad] Problem with smartBorders, multiple screens, and fullscreen windows

Hans Chen hanswchen at gmail.com
Sat Dec 1 03:00:14 CET 2012

 Thanks for your replies!

1. Here's a sample xmonad.hs: http://pastebin.com/FTFahY9T
Note that I have copied /usr/share/xmonad-0.10/man/xmonad.hs and just added
smartBorders to myLayout (and imported XMonad.Layout.NoBorders).

2. More detailed reproduce steps:
- Run "mplayer /path/to/video/file" in a terminal on [screen 1]. A floating
mplayer window should show up on [screen 1].
- Press "f" key to make mplayer fullscreen.
- Move focus to [screen 2], e.g. with mod-e.
- Switch to a hidden workspace on [screen 2], i.e., a workspace not shown
in [screen 1] or [screen 2] (or other screens you may have).
- Notice how mplayer on [screen 1] seems to "freeze".

This only happens when using the fullscreen feature provided by
applications - if I use the Full layout in xmonad, it works as expected
(however there are other issues, e.g. it doesn't work with floating
windows, and mplayer windows become stretched).

mplayer seems to set the following MOTIF_WM_HINTS when it's fullscreen:
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x3, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0
I use vo="xv", zoom="yes", and double="yes".

virtualbox sets _NET_WM_STATE(ATOM) = _NET_WM_STATE_FULLSCREEN, and changes
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x3, 0x3e, 0x7e, 0x0, 0x0 (tiled) to
_MOTIF_WM_HINTS(_MOTIF_WM_HINTS) = 0x2, 0x3, 0x0, 0x0, 0x0 (fullscreen)

Hope that helps,
Hans