[xmonad] How set new floating window gets on top ?

adam vogt vogt.adam at gmail.com
Sat Apr 28 21:31:44 CEST 2012

On Fri, Apr 20, 2012 at 1:50 PM, David Unric <dunric29a at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> even with manageHook set to manageHook of defaultConfig, all new floating
> windows created on workspace with simplestFloat or simpleFloat layouts
> recieve focus but are placed _bellow_ current windows which I find very
> frustrating.
>
> For example on empty simplestFloat workspace I launch xterm, then launch
> gvim. Gvim gets focus but appears behind xterm (bellow in window stack
> sense).
>
> Maybe I'm not smart enough but I can't find how to change this behaviour of
> floating layout. I'd simply need all new floating windows are placed on top
> of the stack.
>
> Any idea ?
>

> Thanks in an advance.
>

> David

David,

I can't reproduce what you're seeing with simplestFloat on 0.10:
following your example I see the gvim open above the xterm. Maybe
there's something else in your config causing this (or something in my
config; I didn't with the default config)

There are situations when you start a slow program before a fast
program that the slow program will be above the fast program. For
example, in a shell if I run "gvim & xterm", I get gvim above xterm.
It doesn't seem likely that what you're seeing can be because of that
kind of thing.

Your suggestion to shift all new floating windows to the top of the
stack could help situations where you have 3 floating windows, and
changed focus with the keyboard (so that the focused window was not
raised to the top of the stack). This contrib module should make the
managehook for that marginally easier
http://xmonad.org/xmonad-docs/xmonad-contrib/XMonad-Hooks-InsertPosition.html

Adam