[xmonad] Desktop Environment Integration

Ramon Diaz-Uriarte rdiaz02 at gmail.com
Sat Apr 7 01:28:43 CEST 2012

Dear Sean,

I think there have been a few somewhat related threads in the past. Here
are a few comments:

On Tue, 3 Apr 2012 21:38:02 -0400,Sean Allen <sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com> wrote:
> [1  <multipart/alternative (7bit)>]
> [1.1  <text/plain; UTF-8 (7bit)>]
> No right answer here. Just looking for information/advice about desktop
> environment integration.

> I've been using xmonad for about 16 months now and loving it. I currently
> use it integrated with gnome 2.
> About the only things I use gnome for are:

> gtk/desktop theming.

As far as I can tell, I've never used this.

> easier multiple monitor setup.

Hummm... I've found xrandr, from the command line, to be much more user
friendly and configurable than any gui interface I've seen.

> less x hassles.

> basically, has a shortcut to getting the basics configured.

> I'm going to be moving on from that machine soon and I'm trying to decide
> what to do.

> xmonad w/

> nothing? <-- and handle all of the above issues manually

I'd go that route.  But then, I do not think there are those many
issues. And gnome and kde introduce a huge amount of extra stuff.

In some replies to your question, the issues of power management and
network connections are discussed in detail. My 2 cents here. The network
issue has been discussed in this list recently; I do use network manager
(I start if from .xinitrc), so I am forced to install a whole bunch of
gnome components, but I do not need to run gnome (though I have to use
either kdm or gdm as display manager). For power management, I make calls
to acpi from xmobarr to show battery status, and I also have sleepd
running (suspend to disk when battery below 2%); I also have acpi
configured so that closing the lid suspends to ram, and the special "Fn +
moon icon key" calls s2both; so, in summary, I do not need any gnome or
kde here.

Hope this helps,

R.

> gnome 2?
> gnome 3?
> kde?

> Problems using any of the above? Suggestions based on what I really care
> about with using gnome for best things to use?
> Seriously considering just going w/ xmonad but I really do like the little
> layer of 'not x' that I get with a gnome or kde or xfce etc.

> Thanks.
> -Sean-
> [1.2  <text/html; UTF-8 (quoted-printable)>]

> [2  <text/plain; us-ascii (7bit)>]
Ramon Diaz-Uriarte
Department of Biochemistry, Lab B-25
Facultad de Medicina