[xmonad] Desktop Environment Integration

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Wed Apr 4 19:32:44 CEST 2012

On Tue, Apr 3, 2012 at 6:38 PM, Sean Allen <sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com> wrote:
> I've been using xmonad for about 16 months now and loving it. I currently
> use it integrated with gnome 2.
> About the only things I use gnome for are:
>
> gtk/desktop theming.
> easier multiple monitor setup.
> less x hassles.

Do you need power management / wireless networking management?

I've found that those two things are the hardest to get without some
gnome components running (and lately, it's been increasingly difficult
to get power management to work right with xmonad, since
gnome-power-manager seems to have been merged with more monolithic
gnome components.)

I'm not particularly happy with my current xmonad setup, so I'm
curious what you decide.  (I /may/ go back to unity, but I have doubts
that Ubuntu 12.4 will handle multiple monitors in a reasonable way.)

Anyhow, I'd love to make xmonad work better, maybe we have similar goals.

--Rogan