[xmonad] Desktop Environment Integration

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Wed Apr 4 03:38:02 CEST 2012

No right answer here. Just looking for information/advice about desktop
environment integration.

I've been using xmonad for about 16 months now and loving it. I currently
use it integrated with gnome 2.
About the only things I use gnome for are:

gtk/desktop theming.
easier multiple monitor setup.
less x hassles.

basically, has a shortcut to getting the basics configured.

I'm going to be moving on from that machine soon and I'm trying to decide
what to do.

xmonad w/

nothing? <-- and handle all of the above issues manually
gnome 2?
gnome 3?
kde?

Problems using any of the above? Suggestions based on what I really care
about with using gnome for best things to use?
Seriously considering just going w/ xmonad but I really do like the little
layer of 'not x' that I get with a gnome or kde or xfce etc.

Thanks.
-Sean-