[xmonad] Japanese fonts in an XFT xmobar or dzen panel with dynamiclog

Michael Norrish Michael.Norrish at nicta.com.au
Wed Oct 12 05:05:21 CEST 2011

On 12/10/11 13:41, wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:

> Okay, getting close... it looks like something strange is going on
> with your mtl. Can you post the output of "ghc-pkg list | grep mtl"?
> (Note that this is different than "ghc-pkg list mtl" -- there are a
> few different packages all with mtl in their name.)

    $ ghc-pkg list | grep mtl
        mtl-1.1.0.2
        mtl-2.0.1.0

Incidentally,

    $ ghc-pkg list mtl
    /var/lib/ghc-6.12.1/package.conf.d
       mtl-1.1.0.2
    /home/michaeln/.ghc/i386-linux-6.12.1/package.conf.d
       mtl-2.0.1.0

I guess this is bad.  Presumably mixing the two worlds is causing me pain.  I'm happy to dump the apt stuff if that's the right way forward.

> Also, please tell us how you installed xmonad -- did you build it
> yourself from one of the releases on the website, or did you install
> it from your package manager? (If the latter, you might consider
> installing xmonad-contrib from your package manager as well.)

It's from the Ubuntu apt.  I also installed xmonad-contrib from the same place.  Well, strictly the package installed is

    libghc6-xmonad-contrib-dev

> You might want to hop on #xmonad, too, for a more interactive
> debugging experience.

When I'm next able to give it some sustained time, I'll try bugging anyone there that happens to be awake; thanks.

Michael