[xmonad] Japanese fonts in an XFT xmobar or dzen panel with dynamiclog

Michael Norrish Michael.Norrish at nicta.com.au
Wed Oct 12 02:45:04 CEST 2011

On 11/10/11 23:28, wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wrote:
> Quoting Michael Norrish <Michael.Norrish at nicta.com.au>:

>> If I want to use taffybar on top of my Ubuntu 10.10 xmonad, what am I going to need to do/install?

> Grab the gtk-dev libraries (a brief glance at packages.ubuntu.com suggests you'll need at least libgtk2.0-dev, libglib2.0-dev, and libcairo2-dev, dunno if you need any others) from your package manager, then in a terminal type

> cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
> cabal install taffybar

I installed the apt package manager's cabal, and then found that cabal wanted to upgrade itself.  Unfortunately, it didn't replace the one in /usr/bin/, but instead put itself in ~/.cabal/bin.  If I then run that I get

    $ ~/.cabal/bin/cabal -V
    cabal-install version 0.10.2
    using version 1.10.2.0 of the Cabal library

I believe I have all of the gtk, glib and cairo dependencies.  Then I try

    $ sudo ~/.cabal/bin/cabal install gtk2hs-buildtools
    Resolving dependencies...
    Configuring gtk2hs-buildtools-0.12.1...
    cabal: The program alex is required but it could not be found.
    gtk2hs-buildtools-0.12.1 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
    ExitFailure 1

I see from my Ubuntu package manager that alex is a Haskell lex-alike.  I try

    $ sudo ~/.cabal/bin/cabal install alex
    Resolving dependencies...
    Downloading QuickCheck-2.4.1.1...
    Configuring QuickCheck-2.4.1.1...
    Preprocessing library QuickCheck-2.4.1.1...
    Building QuickCheck-2.4.1.1...
    [ ... output elided ... ]
    Registering QuickCheck-2.4.1.1...
    Downloading alex-3.0.1...
    [1 of 1] Compiling Main             ( /tmp/alex-3.0.19926/alex-3.0.1/Setup.lhs, /tmp/alex-3.0.19926/alex-3.0.1/dist/setup/Main.o )

    /tmp/alex-3.0.19926/alex-3.0.1/Setup.lhs:6:51:
        Warning: In the use of `buildVerbose'
                 (imported from Distribution.Simple.Setup):
                 Deprecated: "Use buildVerbosity instead"

    /tmp/alex-3.0.19926/alex-3.0.1/Setup.lhs:7:51:
        Warning: In the use of `defaultUserHooks'
                 (imported from Distribution.Simple):
                 Deprecated: "Use simpleUserHooks or autoconfUserHooks, unless you need Cabal-1.2
                 compatibility in which case you must stick with defaultUserHooks"
    Linking /tmp/alex-3.0.19926/alex-3.0.1/dist/setup/setup ...
    Warning: defaultUserHooks in Setup script is deprecated.
    Configuring alex-3.0.1...
    Preprocessing executables for alex-3.0.1...
    Building alex-3.0.1...
    ghc: unrecognised flags: -rtsopts
    Usage: For basic information, try the `--help' option.
    alex-3.0.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
    ExitFailure 1

I think I'm probably in package manager hell at this point, but I persevere and successfully do an sudo apt-get install alex.  Then cabal install of the gtk2hs fails with happy reported as missing.  I don't even bother with the cabal version of this, but get it successfully from apt.   Then installing gtk2hs works.

Trying to build taffybar does a whole lot of stuff, before eventually failing.  Luckily I saw its message saying that I need to put ~/.cabal/bin into my PATH, so I do this.  Then I realise I shouldn't be running with sudo at all because sudo-ed execution runs with a different PATH.  So I chown -R a whole lot of stuff under ~/.cabal and ~/.ghc that was owned by root, and continue.

Then I see

    Building xmonad-contrib-0.9.1...
    [  1 of 180] Compiling XMonad.Util.Replace ( XMonad/Util/Replace.hs, dist/build/XMonad/Util/Replace.o )

    XMonad/Util/Replace.hs:1:0:
        Warning: Module `Prelude' is deprecated:
                   You are using the old package `base' version 3.x.
                   Future GHC versions will not support base version 3.x. You
                   should update your code to use the new base version 4.x.
    [  2 of 180] Compiling XMonad.Util.CustomKeys ( XMonad/Util/CustomKeys.hs, dist/build/XMonad/Util/CustomKeys.o )

    XMonad/Util/CustomKeys.hs:80:23:
        Not in scope: data constructor `Reader'
    gtk-traymanager-0.1.2 failed during the configure step. The exception was:
    ExitFailure 1
    taffybar-0.1.3 depends on xmonad-contrib-0.9.1 which failed to install.
    xmonad-contrib-0.9.1 failed during the building phase. The exception was:
    ExitFailure 1

At this point I give up.

What do I need to do to create a proper Haskell dev environment?

> and you should be done.

Not quite :-)

Michael