[xmonad] Issue 479 in xmonad: xmonad & xft slow font rendering

codesite-noreply at google.com codesite-noreply at google.com
Fri Oct 7 16:01:25 CEST 2011

Owner: ----

New issue 479 by wol... at gmail.com: xmonad & xft slow font rendering

What steps will reproduce the problem?
1. Start gnome3 environment
2. Open resource manager and vim with arbitrary large file
3. Scroll with your keyboard up and down
4. Notice that cpu-consumption and ui-performance differs considerably with
the same steps reproduced in xmonad.

I expect at least the same performance.

Arch linux x86_64. xmonad 0.9.2

Are you using an xmonad.hs?  Please attach it and the output of "xmonad
--recompile".

I use xmonad for quite some time. But today I was curious about gnome 3 and
what I noticed is that font rendering in gnome 3 was significantly faster
than in xmonad.
This was strange for me, because I don't even use composite managers with
my xmonad setup. I dig it a little and found, that the source of problem
may be xft, which is used by default.

Also, it's unlikely to be a hardware problem, because my setup is
i7/8gb/ati hd5470.

Attachments:
	xmonad.hs  6.0 KB