[xmonad] XMonad and Gnome3

Joachim Breitner mail at joachim-breitner.de
Tue Nov 22 15:47:03 CET 2011

Am Dienstag, den 22.11.2011, 23:08 +1100 schrieb Erik de Castro Lopo:
> > The latest xmonad packages in unstable have files included that allow
> > you to select "GNOME3 + xmonad" in gdm3, this works fine here.
> Thats whay I'm using. Works fine until I set either Circle of SimpleFLoat
> as the first layout. Currently I have:
> myLayout = simpleFloat ||| Circle ||| tiled ||| Mirror tiled ||| Full
> Removing the first two an XMonad/Gnome3 starts correctly.

So if you are using
        $ cat /usr/share/gnome-session/sessions/xmonad.session
        [GNOME Session]
then it would be interesting what component makes gnome-session think
that the session has failed to start – could be one of the four
mentioned. xmonad can probably be excluded (you’d notice if it crashes
and is restarted), so either the panel, the settings-daemon or the
notification daemon don’t like the layout.

You could add --debug to /usr/bin/gnome-session-xmonad and check if
~/.xsession-errors contain something suspicious when the bug is

Joachim "nomeata" Breitner
  mail at joachim-breitner.de  |  nomeata at debian.org  |  GPG: 0x4743206C
  xmpp: nomeata at joachim-breitner.de | http://www.joachim-breitner.de/