[xmonad] xmonad as an outsider

Anthony Campbell ac at acampbell.org.uk
Mon Nov 14 10:05:13 CET 2011

On 11 Nov 2011, Weeble wrote:
>    I always feel kind of guilty for not being better at reading Haskell. I
>    actually really enjoyed it at university, and I have a great fondness
>    for functional programming. I have no philosophical objections to it. I
>    just find it very hard to guess what an unfamiliar piece of code does.
>
>    > Have you looked at dwm, written in C? It was the forerunner of xmonad
>    > and functionally and visually the two are quite similar. I was able
>    > modify it pretty easily by editing config.h and patching the code
>    even
>    > though I know no C.
>
>    I've tried a few others, but not dwm. I think I tried awesome. I
>    haven't tried anything I liked more than xmonad. If anything were to
>    steal me away from xmonad, it would need to match the flexibility and
>    either make it easier to configure or provide compelling features (e.g.
>    a tiling compositing WM to do zooming or pretty highlighting). I
>    wouldn't trade off xmonad's features just for easier configuration.

Point taken. You are obviously much more sophisticated in computer
terms than me - I have no formal instruction at all and have just picked
things up, or not, as I went along. Haskell was a pretty tough nut for
me and I would have to put in a lot of work to get even a slight
acquaintence with it. That's not to say that it wouldn't be worth while,
but life is short, art long ...

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk