[xmonad] xmonad as an outsider

Weeble clockworksaint at gmail.com
Fri Nov 11 18:14:54 CET 2011

On Thu, Nov 10, 2011 at 5:34 PM, Anthony Campbell <ac at acampbell.org.uk>
wrote:
> Reading that you find Haskell problematic, I feel a bit better that I,
> as a non-programmer with no formal computer training, was pretty much
> stymied. I just copied examples I found on the net but without really
> understanding them.

I always feel kind of guilty for not being better at reading Haskell. I
actually really enjoyed it at university, and I have a great fondness for
functional programming. I have no philosophical objections to it. I just
find it very hard to guess what an unfamiliar piece of code does.

> Have you looked at dwm, written in C? It was the forerunner of xmonad
> and functionally and visually the two are quite similar. I was able to
> modify it pretty easily by editing config.h and patching the code even
> though I know no C.

I've tried a few others, but not dwm. I think I tried awesome. I haven't
tried anything I liked more than xmonad. If anything were to steal me away
from xmonad, it would need to match the flexibility and either make it
easier to configure or provide compelling features (e.g. a tiling
compositing WM to do zooming or pretty highlighting). I wouldn't trade off
xmonad's features just for easier configuration.