[xmonad] exiting: asking for confirmation (or a four-key combination)

Brandon Allbery allbery.b at gmail.com
Sat Nov 12 19:40:47 CET 2011

On Sat, Nov 12, 2011 at 13:31, <wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu> wrote:

> Quoting Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>:
>
>> Daniel's solution has the potential for problems, because xmonad's main
>> loop isn't processing events while it's running.  (This is a common
>> problem
>>

> Can you suggest a way to manifest this problem? I tried a bunch of stuff
> (shift+insert,

Meh, right problem, wrong specifics.  xmonad's main loop isn't running, so
the problem manifests when another program opens a non-override_redirect
window.

- the program may block waiting on xmonad to respond to ConfigureRequest-s,
while xmonad is blocked on its output;

- a badly behaved program may map its window anyway, and you won't be able
to do anything about it if it pops over the dmenu.

(I am a little surprised *dmenu* doesn't trigger #1, which makes me think
it's either using override_redirect or it's case #2.)