[xmonad] exiting: asking for confirmation (or a four-key combination)

wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu wagnerdm at seas.upenn.edu
Sat Nov 12 19:31:17 CET 2011

Quoting Brandon Allbery <allbery.b at gmail.com>:

> Daniel's solution has the potential for problems, because xmonad's main
> loop isn't processing events while it's running.  (This is a common problem

Can you suggest a way to manifest this problem? I tried a bunch of
stuff (shift+insert, middle-clicking on dmenu, middle-clicking outside
of dmenu, hitting ctrl-c), and none of it hung xmonad; what else can I
try? Anyway, my understanding of the putSelection problem was that
xmonad made two threads, both making X calls, and this was the
problem; the solution I posted uses two processes (not threads).

Furthermore, xmonad-contrib module XMonad.Util.Dmenu defines functions
whose source I basically copied and pasted to write my code snippet
(but they don't allow custom prompt strings). If there's a danger when
using them, that danger NEEDS to be added to the documentation.

~d