[xmonad] xmonad as an outsider

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Thu Nov 10 21:39:12 CET 2011

On 11/10/2011 12:34 PM, Anthony Campbell wrote:

> Have you looked at dwm, written in C? It was the forerunner of xmonad
> and functionally and visually the two are quite similar. I was able to
> modify it pretty easily by editing config.h and patching the code even
> though I know no C.

While I'm still also an outsider, I figure I can say this:

Posting signs to the help list for X that folks should use competing
product Y is likely to eventually generate friction.  Seeing the comment
I experience an awkward embarrassment, like seeing a fellow guest insult
the host's cooking.  I'd suggest it would be more polite to make that
reply private.

As for being mystified by haskell itself:  I share some of that
befuddlement, but take it as an interesting tinkering opportunity.
Playing in a domain which I know well, with an unfamiliar toolset, is
pleasant.  So I don't anticipate being an outsider long. :)

- Allen S. Rout