[xmonad] xmonad development (was: something in particular)

Anthony Campbell ac at acampbell.org.uk
Wed Nov 9 18:27:48 CET 2011

On 09 Nov 2011, Brandon Allbery wrote:
>    On Wed, Nov 9, 2011 at 08:21, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <[1]rdiaz02 at gmail.com>
>    wrote:
>
>    On Wed, 9 Nov 2011 08:23:20 +0000,Anthony Campbell
>    <[2]ac at acampbell.org.uk> wrote:
>    > On 08 Nov 2011, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte wrote:
>    > > Jonas, thanks. You were right. It was straightforward (Debian
>    includes
>    > > cabal-install) and I did not notice any change (which is good!)
>    after
>    > > xmonad --recompile; xmonad --restart.
>    > Doesn't work here (Debian Sid). It complains that there is no
>    installed
>    > version of base. (See my earlier post about this on the list,)
>
>      Anthony, I am also using Debian (a mix of unstable and testing, with
>      a few
>      experiemental packages). I checked the output of your ghc-pkg list
>      and it
>      seems similar to mine. Both do include base-4.3.1.0.
>
>    I'll have to dig back into this thread to find the mentioned post, but
>    I will note that when cabal complains about not being able to satisfy
>    "base -any" it *usually* means that there are conflicting boot library
>    versions around that break the "base" package. Â (That is, it really
>    means that there is no combination of package versions that results in
>    "base" being usable.)
>    (ghc 7.2.x changed things in a way that can cause that error, by making
>    the haskell98 package incompatible with modules compiled *without*
>    haskell98; this breaks some of XMonadContrib's dependencies, in
>    particular off the top of my head X11-xft uses haskell98 but XMC
>    doesn't.)
>    BTW, it would help if you posted the entire error you got.

Thanks to both for replies. There isn't much in the way of error
messages:

arcadia:~/xmonad-compile:$ cabal install
Resolving dependencies...
cabal: There is no installed version of base
arcadia:~/xmonad-compile:$

That's it.  Quite a few people on Google report this error but no
solutions seem to exist.

AC

Anthony Campbell - ac at acampbell.org.uk