[xmonad] register XMonad as window manager with X

Rogan Creswick creswick at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 22:35:39 CET 2011

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 11:47 AM, Jochen Keil <jochen.keil at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Except we can't use these types of version "numbers" for Hackage,
>> and they don't match the Package Versioning Policy:
>> http://www.haskell.org/haskellwiki/Package_versioning_policy
>
> Too bad that there's a policy. Although I personally don't like
> versioning using major and minor numbers, I understand that it's
> necessary for something like the haskell platform.
> Thanks for pointing me to it.

The PVP provides the framework that allows flexible version
specifications for dependencies.

Assuming the spirit of the PVP is followed, you can ignore the D-level
version numbering, and depend on C-level numbering in a cabal file.
That generally allows bugfix releases of your dependencies to be used
without any changes to your code or cabal file, while telling cabal
that API-breaking changes (marked by the higher version number slots)
do not satisfy your application's requirements.

This is far from foolproof, but it is very convenient when it's followed.

--Rogan