[xmonad] xmonad development (was: something in particular)

Jonas Bygdén jonaslistor at gmail.com
Tue Nov 8 15:52:21 CET 2011

Ramon,

On Tue, Nov 8, 2011 at 15:27, Ramon Diaz-Uriarte <rdiaz02 at gmail.com> wrote:

> But now, when I read that 0.9 is obsolete (my current version, running
> Debian, is 0.9.2-2) and that I should grab the one in darcs, etc, etc, and
> possibly start fiddling around... well, I really don't feel tempted at all
> to try that right now (and I will, at least for now, feel solace in the
> "if it ain't broken, don't fix it").

I've followed the discussion for quite a while now, and realized that my
"stock" xmonad (as delivered from ubuntu) has been outdated for years. I've
felt the same way (i.e. "if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it") because
it's just worked. I'm "just" a sysadm, and not a programmer, so I feel (as
others have pointed out in this thread) more than a little intimidated by
haskell.

Today however, with the fantastically simple explanation from Wirt Wolff
earlier in this thread on how to build it with cabal from darcs, I decided
to give it a go.

It really was as simple as Wirt describes. With a minimum of modification
to my setup (mv /usr/bin/xmonad /usr/bin/.xmonad;ln -s
/home/jonas/.cabal/bin/xmonad /usr/bin/xmonad), I'm now running the "latest
and greatest" from darcs - integrated with
gnome3<http://haskell.org/haskellwiki/Xmonad/Using_xmonad_in_Gnome#Gnome3>
and
with xmonad-log-applet integrated in gnome3-panel.

It was a lot easier than I had expected.

Give it a go, it's easy to revert (just undo the rename and link) in case
there's problems.

/Jonas