[xmonad] xmonad development

Allen S. Rout asr at ufl.edu
Tue Nov 8 15:27:33 CET 2011

I think most of the threads of your response are addressed in other
branches of this conversation, but this deserves a point

On 11/07/2011 06:10 PM, Ivan Lazar Miljenovic wrote:
> On 8 November 2011 04:59, Allen S. Rout<asr at ufl.edu>  wrote:

>> So, in order to use your WM, I have to completely bathe in haskell, down to
>> learning the ideosyncratic, haskell-only VC you guys have cooked up.
>
> Whilst darcs has its greatest popularity in the Haskell community, it
> is used elsewhere (albeit nowhere near as much, and even with Haskell
> packages a lot of people have switched to Git due to GitHub).  But
> "ideosyncratic"?

Mea culpa.   I have nothing to back that up with, and am merely imputing
gratuitous differences because darcs has adherents in a world that also
contains git.  This is error. :P  Please permit me to rephrase my bias
in a way that is at least rational.

When comparing DVC systems, it seems to me that a community size /
mindshare  advantage as large as that which git possesses overwhelms any
consideration short of actual objective feature fail.    When I started
searching on darcs vs. git, the comparisons I saw appeared to focus on
surface UI problems.  (The client prompts you for contact information if
it doesn't have it, and that's a point of evangelism?)

So I filed darcs as "Project loved by some haskell adherents because
it's haskell. ".

I don't want to follow this thread down the darcs vs. path. (at least
not on the list)  But I wanted to acknowledge my error, and thank you
for responding to it gently.

- Allen S. Rout