[xmonad] Gnome3 and xmonad

Magnus Therning magnus at therning.org
Thu May 5 16:52:15 CEST 2011

2011/5/5 Ted Zlatanov <tzz at lifelogs.com>:
> On Sun, 1 May 2011 18:16:11 +1000 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:
>
> ILM> On 1 May 2011 18:46, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>>> Gnome3 just hit my distribution and after the upgrade from Gnome2 I no
>>> longer get xmonad on login :(
>>>
>>> There are many things I like about Gnome3 and the shell, but I've
>>> gotten really used to xmonad, manipulating windows via the keyboard,
>>> and most importantly I love the tiling window placement.
>>>
>>> I can't seem to find any description of using xmonad with Gnome3, is
>>> there any?
>
> ILM> Well, isn't GnomeShell part of the new Mutter WM?  So if you manage to
> ILM> work out how to use xmonad, then AFAIK you lose the shell.
>
> ILM> Some info appears to be here:
> ILM> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3#Introduction
>
> I'm starting gnome-panel manually in the XMonad desktop session in order
> to get the old (Ubuntu 10.10, Gnome 2) behavior with XMonad.  The Gnome
> shell session you can install in Ubuntu 11.04 from the Gnome 3
> repository doesn't start gnome-panel.
>
> Supposedly gnome-panel will be used as a fallback in case the machine
> can't handle the new Gnome shell.  I can't find a way to force that
> fallback, though, in the Wiki above or with Google searches.  Does
> anyone know?

There is a setting for it, but I only know how to get to it from
inside gnome-shell itself, it's called fallback mode, System Settings
-> System Info -> Graphics.

There's most likely a gconf/dconf/gsettings (or whatever they call the
Gnome config system this week) setting for it.

On ArchLinux you can also simply remove the gnome-shell package in
order to force fallback mode.

/M

--
Magnus Therning                      OpenPGP: 0xAB4DFBA4
email: magnus at therning.org   jabber: magnus at therning.org