[xmonad] Gnome3 and xmonad

Ted Zlatanov tzz at lifelogs.com
Thu May 5 16:45:22 CEST 2011

On Sun, 1 May 2011 18:16:11 +1000 Ivan Lazar Miljenovic <ivan.miljenovic at gmail.com> wrote:

ILM> On 1 May 2011 18:46, Magnus Therning <magnus at therning.org> wrote:
>> Gnome3 just hit my distribution and after the upgrade from Gnome2 I no
>> longer get xmonad on login :(
>>
>> There are many things I like about Gnome3 and the shell, but I've
>> gotten really used to xmonad, manipulating windows via the keyboard,
>> and most importantly I love the tiling window placement.
>>
>> I can't seem to find any description of using xmonad with Gnome3, is
>> there any?

ILM> Well, isn't GnomeShell part of the new Mutter WM?  So if you manage to
ILM> work out how to use xmonad, then AFAIK you lose the shell.

ILM> Some info appears to be here:
ILM> https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/GNOME_3#Introduction

I'm starting gnome-panel manually in the XMonad desktop session in order
to get the old (Ubuntu 10.10, Gnome 2) behavior with XMonad.  The Gnome
shell session you can install in Ubuntu 11.04 from the Gnome 3
repository doesn't start gnome-panel.

Supposedly gnome-panel will be used as a fallback in case the machine
can't handle the new Gnome shell.  I can't find a way to force that
fallback, though, in the Wiki above or with Google searches.  Does
anyone know?

Thanks
Ted