[xmonad] Dual screen setup with (dual-screen) workspace swithching

Brent Yorgey byorgey at seas.upenn.edu
Thu Mar 24 16:18:54 CET 2011

On Thu, Mar 24, 2011 at 09:56:18AM +0100, Kuba wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am quite new to xmonad, but I find it quite useful :D (compared to my
> window-dragging coworkers, who don't see the sense :D)
>
> The story is:
> I have a working dual-screen setup, where each screen is a workspace. This
> is probably the most default way to have it...
>
> My problem is, that I mostly work with apps that produce a lot of windows.
> This is the first reason why I have dual-screen setup after all...
> So I arrange nicely all the windows on the two screens (say [1] and [2]),
> but I also work with multiple instances of the application. That means I
> have another application (with similarly-looking windows) on screens [2] and
> [3]. And another on [4][5]. And another.... Now here's the catch:
> When I want to switch to the other project (2,3) i need to change BOTH
> workspaces (say: mod-w,mod-3, mod-e,mod-4). Then to go back the procedure
> repeats.

If you are using the latest darcs version of xmonad-contrib (and if
you are not, it's not that hard to switch and the development version
is actually just as stable as the releases), you may be interested in
the XMonad.Actions.DynamicWorkspaceGroups module.  You can dynamically
assign a name to groups of workspaces and then switch to the group by
name.  You could also set up some groups ahead of time in your config
and have some keybinding to switch between them.

-Brent