[xmonad] Misleading documentation for XMonad.Actions.Search

Wirt Wolff wirtwolff at gmail.com
Tue Mar 22 06:39:54 CET 2011

Excerpts from Gwern Branwen's message of Mon Mar 21 20:33:54 -0600 2011:
> On Mon, Mar 21, 2011 at 7:52 PM, Wirt Wolff <wirtwolff at gmail.com> wrote:
> > Something else to note and fix is that as it stands in the current darcs
> > version, wikipedia and wiktionary don't work properly with any of these
> > intelligent searches. (Probably because their urls contain the ':'
> > character.)
>
> I don't follow. At least with the infixr, output seems correct:
> *XMonad.Actions.Search Control.Monad Data.Char Data.List> use
>     (wikipedia !> hoogle !> prefixAware google) "hoogle:foo"
> "http://www.haskell.org/hoogle/?q=foo"
> *XMonad.Actions.Search Control.Monad Data.Char Data.List> use multi "wiki:foo"
> "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Special:Search?go=Go&search=foo"

Ugh, indeed. Sorry for the noise. I'm not sure what went wrong earlier.
I've too many ghci's open, and just recently cleaned out my ~/.cabal
from old versions of xmonad and rebuilt clean with the infixr. So must
have had wrong versions of something loaded.

On the bright side, the counterexamples I needlessly dragged out of you
clearly demonstrate how much cleaner is the properly defined !> in
comparison with leaving it as is.

thanks, Gwern.

--
wmw