[xmonad] multiple window apps

Sean Allen sean at monkeysnatchbanana.com
Wed Mar 9 15:48:32 CET 2011

On Wed, Mar 9, 2011 at 8:10 AM, Jan-David Quesel <quesel at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Wed, Mar 09, 2011 at 07:49:40AM -0500, Sean Allen wrote:
>> In my case, the multiple window app is Eclipse.
>>
>> I have a dual monitor setup with each screen having its own set
>> of workspaces.  Eclipse being what it is, I want to be able to
>> pull some of its tabs out into their own windows on the
>> 'secondary' monitor. I can do that but when I quit eclipse and
>> start it back up, everything opens on 1 monitor with the main
>> eclipse window opening behind the others that are floating ( I
>> assume they get marked as transient or something like that... )
>>
>> Are there any blog posts, modules, example configs out there
>> that I can take a look at to figure out how to get this setup
>> working on application launch?
>
> Basically you could use managehooks to position the windows on
> the workspaces/monitors you want them to be.

Ya, I have that partially working. Couple questions...
can you do a manage hook that says

doShift "somewhere" THEN doIgnore

my haskell isn't good enough to know how to chain them, to say, state
here is important.
we want to ignore after the shift.

other harder thing I'm trying to figure out, is, I can shift the main
eclipse/spring window to the correct workspace
but all the extra windows that are pulled out of that one go to
whatever workspace is active on the other screen.
And seemingly those windows don't have any titles... not sure how to
work around that. Is there a way other than...

Saying don't just shift eclipse to "somewhere" but.. move our view
there as well AND then use the linked workspaces
patch you did to have the other screen shift as well.

> For switching to eclipse you could also reuse my module for
> linking workspaces:
> http://code.google.com/p/xmonad/issues/detail?id=432

I took a look at that and plan to use once I have everything else
figured out. Unless it is required as per my question above
to get to even the basics of what I want to accomplish.

Thanks,
Sean