[xmonad] Toggle Window (Always Below <-> Always Above)

Jan-David Quesel quesel at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 16:18:42 CET 2011

Hi,

On Thu, Jan 27, 2011 at 02:59:55PM +0300, kevind256 wrote:
> > Now lets take a quick look at what is currently done and where
> > the implementation issues lie regarding your suggestions.
> >
> > doIgnore is what is currently done. manageDocks is just short for
> > checkDock --> doIgnore. Thats also whats probably causing the
> > issue with dzen being on top after restart.
>
> Frankly I don't see the problem with that doIgnore is "currently
> done": I think it's checkDock is causing your problem that "all
> windows on the current screen resize and redraw when pressing the
> modkey". If you use doIgnore alone, there won't be a checkDock, so
> there shouldn't be any resizes.

the checkDock part is just for identifying the dzen window. so
what causes the redraw is essentially the fact that all windows
are moved out of the way (by inserting a gap at the top) such
that one can see the "ignored" window...

> > The question is how to reveal it in a convenient way.
>
> I mentioned that there could be xmonad functions to do that, but if
> not, I almost sure you can find command line utilities for Xorg to
> move any window in/out of screen. They could find the window by one of
> the parameters returned by these commands (run in terminal and click
> desired window to see):
> xprop|grep CLASS
> xprop|grep ^WM_NAME

yeah the functions are there, but doIgnore removes the window
from the stackset. therefore you cannot search the stackset and
filter it by those properties anymore.

> > I dont even
> > really have an idea how to find the dzen window in my event hook,
> > as I cannot store a WindowSet in the manageHook as its not
> > compatible with ExtensibleState.
>
> Neither do I. But not sure this is needed.
>
> > The same issue occurs with your 2nd suggestion.
>
> Which issue? doFloat isn't "done currently".

I was referencing the "how do I get a window handle issue" here.

> > How do I get the window in the eventHook to call reveal/hide on it?
>
> Haskell expert wanted.

yeah I think that's what we need right now :)

Regards,
Jan

--
Jan-David Quesel
Carl von Ossietzky Universität Oldenburg

Phone: +49 (0)441 798-2376
Fax: +49 (0)441 798-2965