[xmonad] Toggle Window (Always Below <-> Always Above)

kevind256 kevind256 at gmail.com
Thu Jan 27 12:59:55 CET 2011

> Now lets take a quick look at what is currently done and where
> the implementation issues lie regarding your suggestions.
>
> doIgnore is what is currently done. manageDocks is just short for
> checkDock --> doIgnore. Thats also whats probably causing the
> issue with dzen being on top after restart.

Frankly I don't see the problem with that doIgnore is "currently
done": I think it's checkDock is causing your problem that "all
windows on the current screen resize and redraw when pressing the
modkey". If you use doIgnore alone, there won't be a checkDock, so
there shouldn't be any resizes.

> The question is how to reveal it in a convenient way.

I mentioned that there could be xmonad functions to do that, but if
not, I almost sure you can find command line utilities for Xorg to
move any window in/out of screen. They could find the window by one of
the parameters returned by these commands (run in terminal and click
desired window to see):
xprop|grep CLASS
xprop|grep ^WM_NAME

> I dont even
> really have an idea how to find the dzen window in my event hook,
> as I cannot store a WindowSet in the manageHook as its not
> compatible with ExtensibleState.

Neither do I. But not sure this is needed.

> The same issue occurs with your 2nd suggestion.

Which issue? doFloat isn't "done currently".

> How do I get the window in the eventHook to call reveal/hide on it?

Haskell expert wanted.

> Any suggestions?

Run out of pool.