[xmonad] Problem with anti-aliased fonts in Java/Swing applications

Christophe Garion tofgarion+xmonad at runbox.com
Thu Jan 20 22:32:47 CET 2011

On Wed, 19 Jan 2011 16:01:16 -0500, Daniel Anderson <dankles at linux.com> said:

Daniel> Do you have an ~/.Xdefaults file or a ~/.fonts.conf?  You cant
Daniel> try enabling hinting in your ~/.Xdefaults or ~/.Xresources like
Daniel> this:

Thanks Daniel for your answer. Unfortunately, it does not change
anything. I have added Xft configuration into my .Xresource file, verify
with xrdb -query that these options are loaded when I start my X
session, but the Swing app fonts rendering is the same.

There is a property, awt.font.desktophints, which is use by the AWT
default toolkit. This property contains a key corresponding to
anti-aliased text fonts when using a gnome session, but unset when using
only xmonad. I will investigate further in this direction...

Christophe

--
Christophe Garion          ISAE/DMIA - SUPAERO/IN
garion at isae.fr             10 avenue Edouard Belin