[xmonad] Initial Layout

Allan Wind allan_wind at lifeintegrity.com
Wed Jan 19 19:02:22 CET 2011

I am starting xterm, iceweasel (aka firefox) and pidgin from .xsession:

iceweasel &
pidgin &
uxterm -e 'tmux new mutt' &
exec /usr/bin/x-window-manager

And using the following xmonad configuration:

myManageHook = composeAll [
        className =? "Gimp" --> doFloat,
        className =? "Iceweasel" --> doF (W.shift "1"),
        (className =? "Iceweasel" <&&> resource =? "Dialog") --> doFloat,
        className =? "Pidgin" <&&> title =? "Buddy List" --> doShift "2"
        ]

main = xmonad $ ewmh defaultConfig {
        borderWidth = 1,
        manageHook = myManageHook <+> manageHook defaultConfig,
        modMask = mod4Mask,
        terminal = "/usr/bin/x-terminal-emulator -e tmux"
        }

This gives me the following behavior:

xterm on workspace 1 right
iceweasel on workspace 1 left
pidgin on workspace 2

active desktop is 2.  Two questions (a) Is there a way to swap xterm and
iceweasel for the initial session?  (b) And how do I tell xmoand that workspace
1 should be active?  I am happy to dig more into the docs.

/Allan
--
Allan Wind
Life Integrity, LLC